On September 7, 2018 CSPS hosted our first annual symposium, The Asian Century, emphasizing the security challenges existing in the Asia Pacific Region. The symposium began with an Opening Keynote Address by Professor Aaron Friedberg, Princeton. Professor Friedberg was followed by the first panel, “The Asian Environment to 2030.” The first speaker was Professor Jack Goldstone, George Mason University, who spoke on China’s paradoxes. The next speaker was Professor Ellen Frost, the National Defense University. She spoke on economic trends in Asia. The final speaker was Sherri Goodman, from the Wilson Center, who addressed the way climate concerns impact security in the Asia-Pacific Region. The panel concluded with a discussion moderated by Professor Ming Wan, George Mason University.
The second panel focused on competitive relationships in the Pacific. The first speaker was Professor Cha, Georgetown University, who spoke on the evolving relationship between North and South Korea and the US . He was followed by Professor Michael Hunzeker, who provided recommendations on Taiwan’s security challenges in regards to China. The final speaker in this panel was Yun Sun, from the Stimson Center. She spoke on the competition between the US and China. The panel concluded with a discussion moderated by Professor Ellen Laipson, George Mason University. Admiral Dennis Blair provided the Closing Key Note Address.
You can view the complete symposium, individual speaker videos, and the conference report below.
Complete Symposium Playlist
- Opening Keynote Address, Professor Friedberg
- The Human Story: Demography, Health and Education, Urbanization, Professor Goldstone
- Economic Trends and Their Impact on Asian & US Security, Professor Frost
- Climate Security in the Asia-Pacific Region: Disaster Alley or Resilience Leader, Ms. Goodman
- First Panel Discussion
- Constants and Variables in the Effort at Korean Peace, Professor Cha
- China as a Strategic Challenge, Professor Hunzeker
- US-China Competition in Southeast Asia, Ms. Sun
- Second Panel Discussion
- Closing Keynote Address, Admiral Blair
- Final Discussion